The Last Queen: A Novel

The Last Queen: A Novel - C.W. Gortner There is a reason why historical fiction is my favorite genre and this book is one of them. An author that can take an historical figure, write a book about him/her based in fact, and make it historically accurate and entertaining at the same time is truly gifted. I have been interested in Queen Juana since I watched a brilliant Spanish film based on her life called "Juana La Loca" (or "Mad Love"). Not quite sure how accurate the film was, but my interest was piqued and I wanted to know more about her. However, at the time there were no historical fiction novels about her and very little non-fiction at that (at least after a search at my library). And then I entered the book blogging world in 2009 and I started hearing about this book and I wanted it. I put it on my wishlist and lucky me, my lovely Holiday Swap partner sent me the book (with my other goodies)! Well, the waiting paid off. Gortner has constructed an historically accurate novel with characters that make you want to hate (Felipe) and to cry (Juana). The subjugation of Juana by the men in her life is both infuriating and heartbreaking and I felt every misdeed against her to the bone. Gortner has landed himself on my list of favorite historical fiction authors and I'm pretty confident that he will stay there. I have his The Confessions of Catherine De Medici on my TBR pile and I can't wait to sink my teeth into it. It just inched closer to the top of the pile.